Monday, December 5, 2011

Why is Philips Lumea not available in the US?

The Philips Lumea has been sold in Europe for more than a year now, but it's still not available on the US market. And apparently, it's a big secret as to why it's not available:

Welcome to Philips Chat, you're chatting with Frank. How may I help you?
Me: Hi, could you explain to me why the Philips Lumea is not available in the US?
Frank: Philips Lumea is not yet launched in US.
Me: I know
Me: I'm curious to know, why it's available in Europe (for quite a while now), but not the in the US
Frank: When it is launched, the information will be available on Philips US website.
Me: I was going to post about this on my blog, and would appreciate if Philips would give me some more information
Me: (If I write that it's probably not FDA approved or a liability issue, it might scare potential buyers away)
Frank: I'm sorry we can not comment on this. However, you may directly contact our Marketing Team at 203 351 5000 to inquire about this - and they will be able to help you with the reason.
Me: Do you think you could forward my request to the marketing team, and they will send me an email with some more information?
Frank: No, we can not forward any request to marketing team. We can only provide supports for products launched in US, but we can not comment on why some products are not launched.
Me: OK. Thanks!
Frank: You're welcome.
Frank: Thank you for contacting Philips Consumer Lifestyle. We hope we brought Sense and Simplicity to you today. Our chat agents are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.



3 comments:

  1. Hi there! I saw your post and I just wanted to reach out. I work with the Philips Beauty team over in the UK and I just wanted to reassure you that while a bit vague, Frank did give you all the information he can at this time. While the U.S. is planned, we are not able to provide a timeline at this point. If you'd like, I can email you when I have more information. You can reach me at erica.myers@emanatepr.com. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no mystery, it cannot be sold in the US because it hasn't been approved by the FDA. Go to FDA.com and search lumea and/or philips lumea and you will see that you get zero results. Try any t product available in the market and you get results. I was excited about the appliance, since my sister has one, she lives in SouthAmerica. I have no interest anymore, there must be something wrong with it if it hasn't been approved by the FDA yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in the USA and I bought mine on Ebay from a UK seller. I just use an adapter for it. There is ALWAYS a way to get around the FDA and the money that they want (i.e. extort) from companies to get products approved here in the good old USA...government...gheez!!!

    ReplyDelete